This is a famous questionnaire that Proust filled in when he was 20; apparently it was a fashionable thing to do and it certainly is a lovely procrastination excuse. Here it goes:
* Your most marked characteristic?
Loving. People, whether I’ve met them or not, places, whether I’ve seen them or not, music, literature, pencils, flowers and eyes and lips and tombs, curtains, bare feet, necklaces and bracelets, accents, freckles, leaves of grass. Always a bit too much.
* The quality you most like in a man?
* The quality you most like in a woman?
* What do you most value in your friends?
Patience and originality. They bear with me and they’re actual, you know, individuals.
* What is your principle defect?
Insecurity. In all matters, from my own feelings to buying clothes.
* What is your favorite occupation?
Dreaming (especially if that implies sleep :D)
* What is your dream of happiness?
Thunderstorms and all those things that come with them.
* What to your mind would be the greatest of misfortunes?
Loss of hope, I guess? Isn’t that the worst thing that can happen to anyone?
* What would you like to be?
What everyone else would – happy. Just that, really.
* In what country would you like to live?
Ireland or Scotland. As painfully cheesy as it may sound, they feel like home… a lot.
* What is your favorite color?
An indigo-ish purple
* What is your favorite flower?
Orchids. In the hope that they will, one day, outgrow us.
* What is your favorite bird?
The raven, for literary as well as more personal reasons.
* Who are your favorite prose writers?
Virginia Woolf, Jean-Paul Sartre, J.R.R. Tolkien, O. Pamuk
* Who are your favoite poets?
Walt Whitman, E.A. Poe, L. Blaga, W.B.Yeats, F. G. Lorca
* Who is your favorite hero of fiction?
Niggle (from Tolkien’s Leaf by Niggle)
* Who are your favorite heroines of fiction?
* Who are your favorite composers?
Beethoven, Chopin, Saint-Saens, James Newton Howard, mister Holopainen
* Who are your favorite painters?
Oh, I’m so terribly ignorant when it comes to art I’d rather not answer this one.
* Who are your heroes in real life?
* What are your favorite names?
Astrid, Angelica, Vincent and all those Elvish ones
* What is it you most dislike?
People being narrow-minded, having dry hands, being stupid, being insecure, the sound of nails scratching a blackboard, not having time, sand on my feet.
* What historical figures do you most despise?
…Hitler? Bet you didn’t see that one coming.
* What natural gift would you most like to possess?
Ambition, charisma, ankles.
* How would you like to die?
* What is your present state of mind?
I am dead tired. That’s all.
* To what faults do you feel most indulgent?
Those that don’t bother others. (i.e. clumsiness)
* What is your motto?
I don’t have a motto. There are many quotes, though, that sum up the things I (try to) do. The first that comes to mind is a Nietzsche fragment which is quite… Nitzschean. I can’t find the English version and would rather not ruin it with a crappy translation. It’s something about being happy, not content.
Sorry for any grammar mistakes, typos whatever. Too tired to re-read.